The 10th district of Budapest, also known under the name of Kőbánya, at the turn of the century was inhabited mainly by farmers. In fact there were some important factories and distilleries, amongst them, the family owned Dreher beer’s factory.
Eventually, even the buildings in which the Dreher beer were produced, was an art nouveau styled one …
READ the rest of the entry, with additional photos and maps !!
As far as art is concerned, however, Kőbánya is known mainly for two reasons. First, the district hosts the Jewish cemetery, in which one can find several very interesting commemorative buildings, graves, and mosaics. Some of this works are due to the work of very respectable artist such as Bela Lajta, for example.
The second reason is the presence of one of the Odon Lechner absolute masterpiece, the Saint Laszlo cathedral. Eventually, the church was built in 1891 and for his architecture Lechner was inspired by the gothic style. Again, the decorations were, on the contrary, inspired by those of the byzantine art, even if the one in Saint Laszlo were built with the hungarian secession’s traditional eosin Zsolnay ceramics.
Schöntheil Richard, a fairly known architect of the turn of the century, built the maiority f the secession’s buildings there, among them, the villas in the zone of Allomas utca, and the great synagogue in Cserkesz utca. Just the birth year (1874, in Csoka) and that he worked also in Tord were the only facts known of this man:but his works were really outstanding. Another open file in the sometimes mysterious history of the magyar Szecessziò.