Archive for September, 2010

Exhibition presentation

Europeana is organising a public event, to mark the upcoming launch of Europeana’s virtual exhibition of Art Nouveau.

In Brussels, at the heart of European Art Nouveau, there will be a special lecture by Art Nouveau expert Prof. Dr. Werner Adriaenssens, Curator of Decorative Arts of the 20th Century, Royal Museums for Art and History.

The talk will be followed by an open discussion, ‘Why digitise culture?’ featuring 3 key figures in Belgian digital innovation:

Jef Malliet – Erfgoedplus.be, Provinciaal Centrum voor Cultureel Erfgoed, Hasselt
Sandra Fauconnier – Collection and Mediatheque at Netherlands Media Art Institute
Gert Nulens – IBBT/SMIT

The event will be held at the Belgian Comic Strip Centre, a masterpiece of Victor Horta’s Art Nouveau architecture. It is free for the public to attend, but places should be reserved in advance.

TIME: 15.00

DATE: 30 September 2010

ADDRESS: Belgian Comic Strip Centre, 20 rue des Sables (Zandstraat), B-1000 Brussels, Belgium

Web Access

Virtual Exhibition is accessible clicking the image below:

Art Nouveau Virtual Exhibition

Life

Josef Plečnik, born 23 1. 1871 Ljubljana (Ljubljana, Slovenia), † 6 1. Ibid 1957, was architect and designer. Studied in L. Theyer in Graz and 1894-98 in O. Wagner at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, participating in Wagner’s office in the planning of the Vienna city railway; 1900-11 were his most important works in Vienna, for which he also designed the interior (Zacherl House in Vienna 1, 1903-05) ; 1911-20 teaching at the vocational school in Prague and fixtures at the Prague Castle. His most important sacred works are in Vienna (Holy Ghost Church in Vienna, 16, 1910-13) and Prague (Sacred Heart Church, 1928-32). After 1920 remained Plečnik in Ljubljana, in addition to his teaching at the university there, he determined the appearance of the city sustained by buildings and urban planning decisions and became the founder of modern Slovenian architecture, developing a formal style which became quite different by the one of his early mentors,  G. Semper and O.Wagner.

The Zacherhaus in Vienna

Zacherhaus – the building

DSCF5850DSCF5852

From an article on Orf magazine (http://wien.orf.at/magazin/studio/wienheute/stories/61317/):

Es war das erste "moderne" Haus in der Innenstadt – das so genannte Zacherlhaus. Den Reiz daran macht vor allem die Fassade mit den grauen, glänzenden Granitplatten und den steinernen Linien aus.
Beeindruckende Fassade.
Außergewöhnliches Stiegenhaus
Das Zacherlhaus wurde nach dem Bauherrn und damaligen Eigentümer Johann Zacherl benannt. Es zählt zu den bedeutendsten Bauten der Otto-Wagner-Schule. Im Erdgeschoss und Mezzanin ist es eines der ersten Eisenbetonbauwerke Wiens.
Geplant hat es Anfang des letzten Jahrhunderts der slowenische Architekt Josef Plecnik. Eine Besonderheit: die kleine, aber feine Eingangshalle. Insektenartige Leuchtkörper zieren das Stiegenhaus, in Anspielung auf den Mottenpulverfabrikanten und Eigentümer Johann Zacherl.

Heute ist das denkmalgeschützte Zacherlhaus ein Bürohaus. Türen und Fenster sind noch original. Fehlende Beschläge wurden sogar nachgegossen.
Im Auftrag der heutigen Eigentümers, den Nachfahren des Bauherrn Johann Zacherl, wird sehr sorgfältig mit dem Haus umgegangen. Man ist sich der Bedeutung des Hauses bewusst.

Zacherhaus – details

DSCF5853DSCF5851DSCF5855DSCF5856

Clean surface with metal bronze inserts, straight lines, symmetrical decorations, linear and non-rounded statues: these the very aesthetic elements which characterize the building. An aesthetic which influenced further development of the secession style trough the Austrian Hungarian Empire. Eventually, follow up to Plečnik innovative can be found in several buildings in Budapest, designed by architect who were mostly influenced by the European secessionist movement more than by the quest for a local folk oriented Hungarian way to the Art Nouveau.

Zacherhaus – Atlas decoration

Atlas figures in Teleki tér, 1, VIII district, Budapest

 

DSCF5848

 

Zacherhaus – Atlas decoration

Atlas figures, Vörösmarty tér 3. Kasselik-alapítvány üzlet- és bérháza(Korb Flóris és Giergl Kálmán) 1911.

 

DSCF5849

Zacherhaus  – vertical lines on the angled façade

Apartments house in Becsi ut, II District Budapest (Revesz and Kollar ?)

 

DSCF5854

At the turn of the Century, like in many other Italian cities, also in Parma began a full recovery of public housing and residential houses ,thus reflecting the changing conditions of economic and cultural-historical conditions, strictly related to the progressive destruction of the ancient mighty ramparts. By an architectural point of view, the re- was stilistically related to the introduction of lively and stimulating aesthetic ideas of the Art Nouveau. In the case of Parma the adoption of the new style was progressive and gradual:at the very beginning, decoration took the very part of the stylistic renovation while it was only in the second decade of the XX century that a more conscious adoption of the architectural topic of the modernist movement had a meaningful development in Emilia and in Parma ( see also the article on the Salsomaggiore Spa, http://www.szecesszio.com/2010/04/08/terme-berzieri-spa-in-salsomaggiore-pr-architect-ugo-giusti-decorations-by-galileo-chini/).

Parma Verona 2010Parma Verona 2010

In Parma and his province flourishes the Liberty style, which characterized several buildings, from the luxury residential building to the popular cinema, it was a style which captures the Liberty’s principle of the need of ornament, thus sparing use of motion in structure and use of standardized floral ribbons, garlands, folders and maliose decorative busts. Fully decorated in typical Art Nouveau style were signs and shop windows, bus shelters, attractive facilities for commercial (kiosks selling newspapers or flowers). With typical Art Nouveau ornament is the beautiful façade of Old Pharmacy “San Giovanni” in Cardinal Ferrari 3 / a. The façade is decorated with details of wild eagle at the mid top of the frieze, as well as women’s heads (Chemistry and Pharmacy) located at the height of the pilasters that frame teaching the entablature of the Old Pharmacy.

Parma Verona 2010Parma Verona 2010Parma Verona 2010Parma Verona 2010

Polls

Ferdnand Khnopff vs Otto Eckmann

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013

Basel 2013